The iPhone 12 Pro Max launched last October alongside its iPhone 12, 12 Pro and 12 mini siblings. The largest handset of Apple’s first 5G range, the 12 Pro Max boasts a huge 6.7in Super Retina XDR OLED display (the largest ever on any iPhone), improved cameras, and 4x better drop protection thanks to a Ceramic Shield front. The 12 Pro Max also offers the largest battery at 3,687mAh.
On the inside, the Pro 12 Max boasts the A14 Bionic chip – one of the first 5nm processors – making it more energy-efficient and faster. Despite its smaller size Apple packs six cores into the A14 chip: four high-efficiency and two high-performance, along with a quad-core GPU. All combined, the iPhone 12 Pro Max delivers up to 50% greater processing and graphics power. Plus, a 16-core Neural Engine means leaps in AI and machine learning performance too.
As for photography, the 12 Pro Max shows off a LiDAR sensor for depth scanning, Dolby Vision HDR support, and a new ProRAW photo format. Like the 12 Pro, the Pro Max offers 12Mp wide, ultra-wide and telephoto cameras – but a larger sensor on the primary camera that lets in more light gives low light photography on the Pro Max a real boost compared to other iPhones. Apple claims it’s an 87% improvement in low-light photos compared to the 11 Pro Max.
Also new to the iPhone 12 range is MagSafe compatibility, which means the phone will snap into place on Magsafe-compatible wireless chargers. This also opens up possibilities for additional modular accessories that can be magnetically attached to the phone – see some of the most exciting MagSafe accessories here and the best iPhone 12 Pro Max cases here.
If you want to know whether the iPhone 12 Pro Max is worth buying, see the full review by Macworld Editor Karen Haslam.
Here we’re diving into the best iPhone 12 Pro Max deals on contract and SIM-free. We’re separately looking at the best iPhone 12 and 12 Pro deals and the best iPhone 12 mini deals if you want to see offers across the range.
How much does the iPhone 12 Pro Max cost?
First thing first: price. The iPhone 12 Pro Max is the most expensive of the lot with prices as follows:
- 128GB – £1099/US$1099/AUD$1,849
- 256GB – £1,199/US$1199/AUD$2019
- 512GB – £1399/$1399/AUD$2,369
Compare prices from your regional retailers below:
If you’re not entirely sure what the difference between the iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max is apart from size and price, see our full comparison. We’ve also gathered everything there is to know about the full iPhone 12 range in this handy explainer.
Best iPhone 12 Pro Max deals – SIM-free
iPhone 12 Pro Max stock isn’t available everywhere, but we are starting to see small discounts from certain retailers. We’ve listed the biggest iPhone 12 Pro Max discounts and offers below:
1. Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max (128GB)
Now: £1,081.24 (£17.76 off)
2. Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max (512GB)
From: Laptops Direct
Now: £1,348.97 (£50.03 off)
Save £50 on the iPhone 12 Pro Max with 512GB storage. This is the largest discount we can see on this model right now. Laptops Direct also has £35 off 512GB option in silver.
3. Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max (128GB)
From: Laptops Direct
Now: £1,092.97 (£6 off)
If you miss both Amazon and KRCS’s discounts, Laptops Direct is your next bet with £6 off. It has £50 off the 512GB option, however.
4. Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max (128GB, refurbished)
Now: £1,019.99 (£79 off)
5. Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max
Now: £1,088 (£11 off)
A small but extremely rare discount on Apple’s new flagship, the top-of-the-line iPhone 12 Pro Max. KRCS’s discount isn’t much, but it’s the lowest price around right now for this model.
6. Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max (128GB)
Now: £1,099 (with up to 5 months of Apple Music, Apple Arcade and Apple News+ free )
Currys PC World doesn’t have any money off the iPhone 12 Pro Max, but it is bundling up to 5 months of Apple Music, Apple Arcade and Apple News+ for new and returning customers.
7. Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max (128GB)
From: John Lewis
Now: £10 off Belkin Qi BoostCharge Charging Stand Speaker (Up to £300 off with old iPhone trade-in)
John Lewis doesn’t have a discount on the iPhone 12 Pro Max, but it is offering £10 off the Belkin Qi BoostCharge Wireless Charging Stand that doubles as a speaker and typically costs £39.99.
If you trade in your old iPhone you can also claim up to £300 off the Pro Max. Plus, as with most electronics bought from John Lewis, you get a free 2-year guarantee.
8. Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max with Beats Flex, AirPods or Powerbeats Pro
Now: From £56 per month, £99 upfront
If you’re looking to buy the iPhone 12 Pro Max on contract, Three has a variety of bundle offers that include either a wired pair of AirPod, Beats Flex earphones or Powerbeats Pro wireless true earphones.
9. Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max with 20GB data
Now: £49.99 upfront, £59.99 per month (includes free Apple HomePod mini)
If you’re looking to buy the iPhone 12 Pro Max on contract, don’t miss Carphone’s current bundle offer that includes a free Apple Homepod mini worth £99.
Where to buy the iPhone 12 Pro Max – UK stock availability
We’ve listed all the retailers offering the iPhone 12 Pro Max below. We’ll also flag retailers with low stock to save you time from having to browse.
- Apple – Up to £280 off with Apple Trade-In, free delivery
- Amazon – Limited stock
- Argos – Check stock by postcode
- Box – out of stock
- Curry PC World – In stock
- John Lewis – In stock (offers up to £300 with old iPhone trade-in), get £10 off a Belkin wireless charger stand and speaker (2-in-1)
- KRCS – Has up to £11 off
- Laptops Direct – Has £6 off
- Mobiles.co.uk – In stock
- Carphone Warehouse – Free Apple HomePod Mini, Up to £650 off with old iPhone trade-in, free delivery, arrives 16 March
- Studio – out of stock (standard delivery is £4.99)
- Walmart (US) – up to $900 off with trade-in, free 2-day delivery
- Best Buy (US) – locked, in stock
- Target (US) – Stock depends on location
Best iPhone 12 Pro Max deals on contract
- Carphone Warehouse – Best deal: Free Apple Homepod Mini, £49.99 upfront, £59.99 per month for 20GB 4G data
- EE – Best deal: 100GB data for £86 per month, £50 upfront, includes 1 Smart Benefit (choice of Apple Music, Apple TV+, Apple Arcade and more)
- Fonehouse – Best deal: 100GB data for £55 per month, £134.99 upfront with Three
- O2 – Best deal: £59.10 per month, £30 upfront for 100GB data (was 90GB) over 36 months (£360 off with trade-in, 6 months of Disney+, Amazon Prime or another streaming app)
- Sky Mobile – Best Deal: Starts at £45 per month, no upfront cost for 2GB data (higher data allowances available)
- Three – Best Deal: Free AirPods, Beat Flex or Powerbeats Pro – plans start at £56 per month, £99 upfront
- Virgin Mobile – Best Deal: £51 per month, no upfront cost for 30GB data (36 months)
- Vodafone – Best Deal: £83 per month, £29 upfront for 6GB data and choice of Spotify, Amazon Prime Video, or YouTube Premium
- AT&T (US) – Starts at $36.67 per month
Where to get refurbished iPhone 12 Pro Max deals
The iPhone 12 Pro Max doesn’t come cheap, which is why you may want to opt for a refurbished option. It helps both your wallet and the environment.
As opposed to buying second-hand from market sites like Gumtree or eBay, refurbished devices are thoroughly tested and repaired to work and look just like new. You might see scuffs or scratches depending on the refurbished grade, but most retailers will typically mention the condition of the device upfront so you’re not in for a surprise. You’ll often see A, B, or C grades, with A-grade devices showing minimal or no signs of wear and C-grade devices showing obvious signs of wear.
More importantly, trusted refurbished sellers will almost always include a one-year warranty for trouble-free exchanges, repairs or refunds.
The Apple Refurbished Store is the best place to pick up a refurbished iPhone. Apple guarantees the device will be exactly like new. However, it’s unlikely you’ll find the iPhone 12 range phones there just yet. So you may want to shop at the following refurbished resellers instead: